Saturday 7 April 2018

Critical Reflection




Coming to an end of the trimester also means the end this Effective Communication module. Reflecting back to where I had first began to work on my goal for this particular module, I initially aimed to improve my active listening and writing communication skills. Through 11 weeks of intensive effective communications classes, I struggled hard to my upmost ability and learnt to inhabit active listening. During this period, my critical and active listening skill was put into test. For example, during meetings, I had to capture the main points and put them into properly formed sentences to write the minutes report. I realized I was able to manage the situation well and enough for me to communicate with people within my group. When in doubt, I did not hesitate to seek clarification. Undaunted by failures, with the numerous writing assignments given to me, I persevered and did my best. My positive attitude led me to accept feedback, reflect and act on self-improvement. This will in turn, benefit me in the future. 

I was assigned to source for proposed solutions with regards to our problem. During the group discussions, many ideas were raised. After taking the team member's idea into considerations, I proposed to integrate them together  two technologies into one machine. I felt glad as everyone in my group was pleased with the idea. However, even after understanding the mechanism of the machine, I found it hard to articulate them in my own words. Through this technical writing process, I learnt to do online researches for the methodologies and terminologies. 

Upon doing up the report, I had to prepare my script for presentation. Filtering the technical information to present was a challenge as I had to find a balance in presenting adequate information but also make sure it does not overload the audiences. All in all, undergoing these experiences will aid me in future due its relevance in the industry where I will constantly need to communicate and bring my ideas across effectively.


Commented on: Colin , Glen and Serena

3 comments:

  1. Good job Roland, glad to know you had learned many skills in this module which helps you. Hope you will use these skills in the future.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Roland! Throughout the course, i have seen you steadily improve especially during project meetings and presentations. I hope that the module will help in many aspects in life when drafting out proposals or in technical report writing!

    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Roland,

    This is a comprehensive reflection. You address the goals you had set for yourself at the start of the module in terms of listening and writing/doing research. You also focus on prepping your content for the presentation, one area of the project that stood out in terms of your learning.

    I do have a few questions though: Where do you go from here in terms of skills development? What do you feel you need to work on?

    Whatever the case, I appreciate your sharing in this post and all the effort you made this term.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete