Wednesday 14 February 2018

Interpersonal Conflict

A conflict that always happened would be the clarity of communication. It could be as simple as your boss giving tasking, instructions or rather the objective that he wants.

It all happened during the trip in the year of 2017 was an overseas community project. This particular community involves 15 members of similar age. Most of the conversations were done verbally. Whether was it debrief or meeting, information was conveyed through words of mouth.

The problem was that there was no clear description of our expectation. During the 14 days trip, we had a debrief at the end of every single day. It all happened on the 4th day of our project over in a school overseas. The leader, John said that I was not behaving as what was being briefed before the trip. However, when I thought about it, standards were not advised to me right from the start. He did not state or mention about the behavior that I must portrayed myself when I am in the school. Personally, I thought that doing what was right and doing what I had to do was all that matters. Having fun should be part of it as it was a way of bonding together with the team. Like the quote goes “When you play, you play hard; when you work, don’t’ play at all.” It made me wonder that I had to neglect our laughter’s just as to project good image of ourselves. During the debrief, another  senior, Peter, whom had went to this trip for a second time mention that this time round, we were feeling unwelcomed by the people who gave us the hospitality in the school. Thus, this magnified the whole situation where by the blame on me. That issue had led me to feel unfairly treated as the comparison was being made. Feeling enraged, I stood up and argued back. There was when the conflict started evoked.

If you were in my position, how would you have reacted to this situation?

Commented on: Huan Choon , Glen and Colin


4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Roland, for this post. I can understand that there was a conflict, but because you don't specify the individuals involved, we readers have a hard time discerning who the key players are. Remember, this should be an 'interpersonal communication conflict.'

    There are also quite a few ambiguities in this post. For example, you write that "One of the main take away for the trip in the year of 2017 was an overseas community project." I don't understand how the trip itself can be considered a take away.

    Also, you are supposed to present a question at the end of this to invite your readers to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brad, for taking time to read and comment on my post. Your effort is greatly appreciated. I have made the changes as stated.

      Delete
  2. Hi Roland,

    Thank you for sharing this scenario with us. I am sorry you had to go through this at all.

    In your case, I will just make judgement by separating it into two parties. First of all, I just want to lay it out there that both the seniors and juniors have their share of mistakes. The seniors should not have immediately pinned the blame on others. I understand that the juniors felt wronged, but I believe you and the team could have been more understanding at the moment.

    In a heated argument, it is difficult to hold yourself back. I feel that both parties should see from another party's perspective and have a group discussion. I hope my advice is beneficial to you.

    Cheers,
    Huan Choon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Huan choon for taking time to read and understand my conflict with the team. It was a situation where tensions were high. I will take note of your comments as it is from another point of view to act on. Cheers!

      Delete